Science Mission Statement
At Samuel Laycock School our intention is to provide all pupils with a broad, balanced and engaging curriculum. Our Science curriculum covers all three Science disciplines and aims to develop pupils interest in and love of Science.
The curriculum is planned and implemented around a spiral model whereby key concepts and ideas are revisited and reviewed to ensure that knowledge and understanding is secure. Units covered include:
- Science skills
- Human nutrition
- Light and Sound
- Our Bodies
- Separating mixtures
- Space and many more.
In Key Stage 4 pupils, will complete units of work and projects linked to ASDAN accreditation in preparation for their next steps.
It is our aim to nurture a lifelong love of science by providing opportunities for pupils to:
- Develop a curiosity for the world around them
- Ask questions about the world around them and how things work
- Investigate and find out about the world around them
- Develop the skills and confidence to experiment and investigate
- Develop problem solving skills
- Apply their learning to everyday items and situations
- Build resilience and a ‘can do’ attitude – sometimes in Science things don’t work first time!