Science Mission Statement
At Samuel Laycock School our intention is to provide all students with a broad, balanced and engaging curriculum. Our Science curriculum covers all three Science disciplines and aims to develop students interest in and love of Science.
The curriculum is planned and implemented around a spiral model whereby key concepts and ideas are revisited and reviewed to ensure that knowledge and understanding is secure. Units covered include:
- Science skills
- Human nutrition
- Light and Sound
- Our Bodies
- Separating mixtures
- Space and many more
In Key Stage 4, students will complete units of work and projects linked to ASDAN accreditation in preparation for their next steps.
It is our aim to nurture a lifelong love of Science by providing opportunities for students to:
- Develop a curiosity for the world around them
- Ask questions about the world around them and how things work
- Investigate and find out about the world around them
- Develop the skills and confidence to experiment and investigate
- Develop problem solving skills
- Apply their learning to everyday items and situations
- Build resilience and a ‘can do’ attitude – sometimes in Science things don’t work first time!