Art & Design
Art and Design Mission Statement
The key intent of the Art and Design (A&D) curriculum is to
- help our pupils to understand the world around them, in particular, human artistic and spiritual responses to ‘being human’
- become confident citizens by developing their self-esteem by expressing themselves effectively through Art.
- become more caring citizens by developing their appreciation of the art of other people.
Samuel Laycock School provides a broad, balanced and engaging curriculum which correlates closely with the school mission statement and RESPECT values and Art particularly encourages the qualities of ‘Resilience’; to keep going to achieve one’s goals and the ‘Courage’ to express oneself artistically with honesty.
We implement the curriculum under three key themes:
- Skills, knowledge and understanding
- Self-Realisation and Self Esteem through Creativity
- Spiritual/Philosophical Awareness
At Samuel Laycock School we embrace opportunities to develop artistic and creative skills among our young people across the curriculum and particularly within the closely associated subject of Design Technology. Staff play a key role in nurturing creativity ensure teaching and learning is implemented effectively to both teach skills and build each pupil’s confidence in expressing themselves.
We measure the impact of our curriculum at KS3 through evidence in portfolios, books and key milestones. In KS4 pupils have the opportunity to choose Art as a subject and work towards accreditation at ASDAN short course level.